Saturday, January 14, 2012

Dove Will Travel

Dove with Penny Mag and Alli in Virginia.
I’m a jerk.  I mean, you wouldn’t know it from Alyssa’s shining post about our friendship.  She failed to mention the fact that it took me a year to be her friend because I’m a jerk.  Which is apparently how I make my closest friends: by revealing my true self and letting a choice few see me for the jerk I really am.  You can ask Alyssa.  You can ask my husband.  Or you can ask Amy.

Amy and I met thru Jeff (my aforementioned husband) and his circle of work friends at Colonial Williamsburg.  She also attended the church we attended.  I’m sure we met each other 3 or 4 times over the span of 5 or 6 months before one day, I saw a picture of her on facebook and she was dressed in some fabulous 30s or 40s garb and was in NYC.  At that moment I knew this person was WAY too cool and unique not be my friend (and I told her as much in a message via facebook).  I told you I’m a jerk.  But Amy overlooks my selfish and narcissistic ways.  Amy is infinitely talented in things you always wished you could do.  She’s an old soul and she excels at the stuff your grandmother wanted you to learn (heck, your grandmother didn’t even possess Amy’s skill).  She has the most beautiful penmanship, nay, calligraphy I’ve ever seen in my life!  For real, I save all her notes and use them as bookmarks.  She’s a brilliant seamstress and knitter; makes her own clothes and accessories!  Amy was a theatrical interpreter at Colonial Williamsburg, meaning she portrayed actors in the 18th century.  She’s a lovely and talented actor, although she’d never say it.  Oddly, though, she got her bachelor’s degree in, wait for it, biology.  “She’s smart, too?!?,” you ask.  That’s right.  She’s got it all…and long, curly hair to boot. 

Game On!
Anywho, after I sent her the facebook message, which I kid you not said, “I’ve decided we should be friends,” we started hanging out.  Amy also shares an affinity for green, although not obsessively.  We share a love for all things British and/or documentary.  Our favourite (British spelling since we’re talking British tv) is Doctor Who.  We also LOVE to watch The Big Bang Theory together.  She introduced me to some great documentaries.  I’m introducing her to the world of Futurama currently.  Amy loves tea.  We always have tea together (I’m thinking maybe she wants to be British).  Also, games.  So, Amy became a staple at my and Jeff’s board game nights.  Amy’s our kind of player, too.  Competitive, quick-learn and honest.  Basically, I was so happy to meet another Jesus-loving, nerd girl in Williamsburg. 

Alli & Amy
And then she left.  For reasons that are her own and hers to share, Amy left her job at Colonial Williamsburg and set out to travel the world.  Balls to the wall Amy!  First she went to Italy to work at a theatre camp and then she spent a year in the country of Georgia to teach English to little Georgian 1st graders.  I mean this girl got out there and tackled the world full force and I admire her for that.  I’m sad to share, although you already know I’m a jerk, that we only Skyped 4 times while she was in Georgia.  I was bad about messages but Amy was a true champ and friend.  She sent me a gorgeous green scarf from Turkey and brought back a wonderful green cross pendant from Prague.  Not that presents equate friendship but these are examples of how thoughtful Amy is even as so much space separated us.  Despite my poor communications, we have stayed friends (thanks God!).  She slept on our couch a few times when she got back States side.  I was so glad to have her back in Williamsburg and we fell right back into our games and tea and British television. 

Dove and Alli at a Louisiana original in Charlottesville, Virginia.
And then I left.  I moved to Charlottesville, VA, which is only a couple of hours west of Williamsburg, VA.  But, Amy was right there through the whole stressful ordeal.  And I, who pride myself on being the Tetris queen when it comes to packing a suitcase, a box or a van was bested by the multi-talented, multi-tasking Amy.  What can I say?  I’m one lucky jerk.

Photos and story submitted by Alli Villines.

1 comment: